News & Advice
American Express Prepaid Card
Check out the American Express Prepaid Card if you are looking for a low fee card that offers some of the greatest features and benefits available with any card its style. You'll get tons of savings as well as added services like Roadside Assistance or Purchase Protection. And since you can never spend more than what is in your account you'll never pay late charges and can manage your money more efficiently.
This popular card that works much like a debit card but looks and functions almost like a credit card. From the company that also offers the American Express Credit Card this card can be used anywhere the credit card is also accepted. It can be utilized to make purchases in stores, restaurants, online, or over the phone. Users can also use their card like a debit card to make purchases or withdrawal cash from an ATM. The only limitation on its use is to rent a car or to gamble in a casino.
Cardholders will find that having this card in their wallet makes money management simple and convenient. Simply load the card with cash, your paycheck or a bank transfer. Use those funds to spend at tons of locations around the globe. Then when funds start getting low, load the card again and you'll be ready to spend. You can never spend more than what is in your account so you'll never go over budget or rack up high overage charges.
When you have this card in your wallet you'll also have access to all kinds of savings on things like concert tickets or participating retail purchases. You can also be at ease when traveling knowing you'll have free roadside assistance as long as you own this card. Another added bonus is that people who use the card to spend wisely can later be approved for the American Express Credit Card which offers even more freedom.
No Set-Up Fee
Free Direct Deposit
No Credit Check
Frequently Asked Questions
This must-have card is for anyone who is interested in saving money on their spending account. Bank accounts, even a checking account, have become increasingly more expensive to use especially if users need additional services like a debit card or online bill pay. And depending on their self-control many people can accrue large amounts of interest or overdraft charges when using a credit card. But with the American Express Prepaid Card you'll never have to pay outrageous overdraft charges and there are very minimal fees associated with it.
Most people who apply for this card have had a history of bad credit, no chance to build credit, or have not been approved for a credit card or bank account. No matter what their history, anyone can be approved for this card with a 100% guarantee. As long as they are over 18, have a social security number, and can prove their identity anyone who chooses can get one of these card by applying online or purchasing one at a retail location.
Parents who are interested in giving their children financial responsibility while still being able to monitor their spending also find this card to be very useful. Since they can get up to three cards, parents can have one for themselves and also get one personalized for their children. A separate account can be set up for each card but can be monitored individually by the parents.
- No credit check
- No overdraft charges
- No monthly or annual fees
- Free Direct Deposit
- Card Protection
- Access to Multiple Cards
- Free Online Account Access
- Email Alerts
In addition to requiring no credit check and being available to individuals with a poor credit history, this card has lots of great benefits. They carry very low fees with not monthly or annual fees and no overdraft charges. In fact one of the few things they charge for is ATM withdrawals and even one of those each month is free. Users can also access their account online 24 hours a day and receive email alerts if their balance is low. Balances can also be checked via text message.
- Purchase Protection
- Roadside Assistance
- No recurring fees
- Make Your Move Program
- American Express Selects – discounts and savings
- Global Assist Services – emergency travel assistance
- Entertainment Access – savings and advance tickets
When you have this card in your wallet you will have one of the most unique prepaid cards on the market that carries tons of additional features not offered by any other card. Their purchase protection allows you to get your money back if purchased items become damaged or stolen. Through their Roadside Assistance and Global Assist Services users can take advantage of help for emergency situations while on the road or while traveling more than 100 miles from home.
Cardholders will be impressed with the hugs savings and discounts they can receive on tickets to sporting events, concerts, or theater with the Entertainment Access. And those who are struggling to be approved for a credit card can use this prepaid card to build a history with American Express. By using their card responsibly they can eventually be approved for the company's credit card. All of these features can be accessed free of charge and are optional for use.
There are currently no rewards programs associated with this card. However cardholders can save money by simply taking advantage of some of the savings and discount programs that are available.
One of the reasons the American Express Prepaid Card is such a popular option is it minimal fee schedule. This card's goal is to keep more of your hard earned money in your possession rather than charging fees for every transaction that is completed with your card. Along with no overdraft fees ever there are also no annual fees, no monthly fees, and even no activation fee.
You will also find it refreshing to know that there are no fees for calling customer service with your questions and whether you choose a PIN purchase or a signature transaction you will pay no fee for those either. The only time you'll pay extra to use your card is if you reload with a MoneyPak or use an ATM more than once per month.
|ATM Withdrawal||1 free per month OR $2|
|Customer Service Calls||None|
- Direct Deposit – After completing the printed form from your online profile with personal information and account number all you need to do is give it to your employer. You employer can then automatically route your paycheck straight to your account each month and you can avoid cashing your check or waiting an extra day to get paid.
- Bank Transfer – If you have a bank account you can enter the information in your card's profile. You can then set up recurring transfers or initiate one time transfers of any amount you choose. It typically takes up to 5 days for transfers to complete.
- Green Dot MoneyPak – These can be purchased at hundreds of participating retailers. Simply pay cash and a small fee for the MoneyPak in the amount you want to load. Then log in to your account and use the card's numbers to transfer funds into your account. For a limited time American Express is offering a refund of the $4.95 purchase fee for first time MoneyPak users.
- Vanilla Prepaid Reload – This reload option is similar to the MoneyPak, simply purchase the reload card at a retailer in the amount of cash you want to deposit. Then call the Vanilla Reload toll free number and provide your prepaid card account numbers and the Vanilla PIN. Your money will be available in your account immediately.