News & Advice
Green Dot Card
When you choose Green Dot you will have one of the most widely used prepaid cards in your wallet. With retail locations nearly everywhere you look and an easy online application, this card is simple to obtain and convenient to use. It is offered in both a Visa and MasterCard version, so this versatile card can be used anywhere major credit cards are accepted.
The Green Dot Card is one of the most popular prepaid cards on the market today. It has millions of customers and can be purchased anywhere in the United States. Unlike many other prepaid products, it can be applied for in the form of either a MasterCard or a Visa Card. Applicants will need to choose which they want when they fill out the initial application form. Since the card is affiliated with both of these major credit card types, it can be used anywhere these credit card brands are accepted in stores, online, or over the phone.
As a prepaid card this card looks like a credit card but actually works much more like a debit card or gift card. Only the amount preloaded into the card's account can be spent. This helps users avoid large overdraft fees or high interest payments that are often accrued when over spending with a traditional credit card. Cardholders can receive alerts when their account is getting low and can easily and quickly deposit more funds using one of their convenient reloading options.
Once you purchase your card, activate it, and add funds you can use it anywhere credit cards are accepted. The only place that will not accept your card is to participate in online gambling. Your card will be personalized with your name and looks just like any other credit card. While you must be 18 to purchase it, cards can be authorized by parents and then personalized with the name of a child who they feel is ready for some financial independence.
Since users can never spend more than the amount they deposit into their account getting this card is simple. It doesn't matter what your past spending history is or what your credit report looks like. Once your identity has been verified, your card has been activated, and you've made a deposit you can start spending immediately.
$ 0 activation online - with no credit check!
Get a $ 4.95 credit on your first MoneyPak cash load (see site for restrictions)
No overdraft fees
Access to over 18,000 MoneyPass® ATMs
Any - No Credit Check
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have:
- No Credit History
- Bad Credit History
- Been Rejected by Credit Card Companies
- Poor Spending Habits
- Debt from Credit Card Charges
Then this is the card for you!
The Green Dot Card can be obtained by anyone over the age of 18 who does not want to deal with the hassle of penalties and fees associated with other forms of plastic payment cards. Most people who apply for this card have poor credit or bad credit.
Having this card in their wallet is great for people who want to control their spending and budget their finances since they can only spend the amount of money they deposit in their individual account. And since the account is so easy to access online or via Green Dot Mobile, those who struggle with poor spending habits can track exactly where their money is going and make changes to their budget.
Anyone can apply for this card even if they do not have financial difficulties. It is a popular choice among parents who want to be able to control their children's spending habits while still giving the freedom of carrying a card. The card is also often applied for by people who do not wish to pay some of the outrageous fees that are becoming more popular even with owning a bank debit card.
Purchasing a Green Dot Card has some benefits that may not come with some other prepaid card brands. First having a prepaid card that can be used like a credit card is safer to carry in your wallet than having large amounts of cash. One of these cards also offers the same security against identity theft and fraud that most major credit card companies offer.
In addition to having some attractive benefits there are also some unique features associated with this card that make it one of the most popular and top chosen prepaid cards on the market. One specific feature of the card is that cash can be loaded to your card by purchasing the Green Dot Money Pak directly from a retail location.
- No Overdraft Charges
- No Transaction Fees
- No Credit Check Required
- Free Bill Pay
- Recognized Anywhere Visa or MasterCard is Accepted
- Safer than Carrying Cash
- Free Text and Email Alerts
- No Activation Fee
- No Monthly Fee if Making 30 or More Purchases
- No Minimum Account Balance
- Get $4.95 Back with First MoneyPak Reload
- Green Dot Mobile
- Protection Against Theft and Fraud
Rewards - There is currently no rewards program associated with this product.
Like most prepaid cards, once you purchase the Green Dot Card for $4.95 there are some small fees you will be responsible for. There is no activation fee to actually set it up and get started. You will have access to thousands of qualifying ATM's if you want to use your card to withdrawal cash; however some ATM's are not part of the network and will charge a small fee.
As long as you make 30 purchases or load your account with at least $1,000 per month you will not be charged with the $5.95 monthly fee. The Green Dot Card does not have any annual fees or overdraft charges. See below for a more detailed list of fees.
|ATM Withdrawal||None if in Network or $2.50|
|Customer Service Calls||None|
* This fee is waived if reloading more than $1,000 or making more than 30 purchases per month.
- Direct Deposit – Using direct deposit to load cash onto your card is the simplest form of putting money in your account. By filling out a simple form with your account information and giving it to your employer you can have your paycheck almost immediately on pay day. This service is free and can be cancelled or added to your account at any time.
- MoneyPak – The Green Dot MoneyPak can be purchased at several retail locations such as Walmart, Kmart, or Rite Aid. Once you purchase the MoneyPak with cash the cashier will loads your funds onto a temporary card. You can then take that card and insert its number into your online Green Dot account. There is a small fee for using this reload method and you can load anywhere from $20 to $500.
- Bank Transfer – Through your personal bank account you can set up an ACH transfer to your Green Dot account. Simply input your account and routing numbers and anytime you need to transfer cash or reload your card you can make a free electronic transfer.
- Tax Refund – You will not be charged any fees to have your federal tax refund directly deposited into your account. By filling out your tax return with your account number and information you can have your tax refund almost 2 weeks sooner than waiting for a check in the mail.
- You’ve Been Pre-approved for the Green Dot Card
- Start Saving Money With Green Dot Reloadable Cards
- If You’re Too Busy To Go To a Store, Buy Green Dot Online
- Where To Get Green Dot Cards
- Why Should You Get a Green Dot Prepaid Card?
- Green Dot Premier Account
- Check Out the Green Dot Prepaid MasterCard!
- Green Dot Student Card – The Perfect Prepaid Card for Any Student
- An Overview of the Green Dot Money Card – Is This Card Worth Having?
- 8 Benefits of Green Dot Prepaid Debit Cards!
- Green Dot Cards – Easy to Find & Use
- Are You Interested in the Green Dot Credit Card?
- What is a Green Dot Card?
- Reasons Why I Love My Green Dot Card
- Find Out Why So Many People Are Using Green Dot Credit Cards!