News & Advice
Looking for a card that actually gives you money back for making purchases? The mPower Prepaid Card is a Visa card that can be used to make online, phone, or in-store purchases as well as to pay monthly bills. And cardholders can earn cash back the more they spend. This card also offers some great discounts on travel, prescription drugs, and insurance.
The mPower Card is a Visa prepaid card that functions more like a debit card or gift card. When using this card the owner needs to preload it with funds before it can be used to purchase items online, on the phone, or in stores. While it looks and acts much like a credit card, users of this card will not be able to spend money in excess of the amount that was deposited into their account.
Obtaining this card does not require applicants to have a credit check and once the card is received it can be used to make purchases anywhere Visa is accepted along with utilizing it to pay bills online or withdraw cash from and ATM. The application process is simple and can be done by anyone who is 18 years of age or older. It requires filling in a form with your name, mailing address, email, and social security number. Within 7-10 days the card will arrive personalized with the cardholder's name.
Users of this card will be able to make use of its many benefits and discounts that are offered for using certain services. Not only does it provide users with access to an online account 24 hours a day, they will also have access to budgeting tools and tips. Cardholders can even earn cash back for qualifying purchases when using their card as a credit card rather than making a PIN transaction.
Cash Back for Direct Deposit
100% Approval Rate
No Activation Fee
Online Bill Pay
$ 0-$ 6.95
No Credit Check
Frequently Asked Questions
mPower Visa Prepaid Cards are for anyone who has no credit or a bad credit history. It is also a great choice among individuals who are having trouble qualifying for a credit card or do not have a bank account. Since there is no credit check required to get this card, 100% of applicants are approved. Everyone wants the convenience of using plastic to make purchases or even pay their bills so this card makes that goal attainable no matter what the reason for a poor credit history.
Since only the amount of money deposited into the account can be spent, there are never any annual fees or overdraft charges to pay, which makes this card a great investment for people who overspend and need to manage their money more efficiently. With access to an online account, cardholders have tools for money management right at their fingertips. They'll be able to utilize simple features such as:
- monthly statements
- text and email alerts
- Money Matter tips
- Practical Money Skills
- tracking spending
Another group that finds this card especially convenient is parents of teenagers, particularly college students. Parents can open an account in their name but then have the student's name put on the card. They can then conveniently add money to their child's card right from their own account. It's a great way to help students with college costs as well as track their spending and teach them money management skills as they reach adulthood.
There are lots of great benefits and advantages available to users of the mPower Preapdi Visa Card. While some, such as direct deposit, require the cardholder to enroll or sign up, there are some services that are automatically available. It is the user's choice whether or not to use those services depending on their individual needs. Some of these features offer money back and some are designed to simply save the cardholder some extra money.
Check out some of the great amenities offered to customers that set this card apart from other prepaid products:
- No activation fee
- More secure than cash
- Free direct deposit
- Use anywhere Visa is accepted
- Online bill pay – recurring or one-time payments
- Texts and email alerts - Transactions, close to spending limit, or bill pay reminders
Rewards – There is currently no specifically defined Rewards Program with this card; however users can earn cash back for qualifying purchases. Each year the cardholder's account is credited with a certain amount of cash back based on how much you spent. The more you spend, the more you get back. Your card needs to be used in a certain way to qualify including:
- signature based transactions – select "Credit"
- online purchases
- phone purchases
- bill payments
Example: Spend $10,000 using one of the above methods and earn 0.80%. So you get $80.00 credited to your account.
- $25 cash bonus if initial card loading is direct deposit
- Activation fee is waived using direct deposit
- Money Management Account tools
- Prescription drug discounts
- 24-hour nurse hotline
- Lowered insurance rates
- Travel discount
- Bill payments are reported to PRBC
- Tax refund received more quickly
While there are some fees associated with the mPower Prepaid Card they are very minimal in comparison to other cards. Many of the fees can be waived if using direct deposit and keeping a certain balance in your account. Keep in mind that using this card will help you avoid annual percentage rates and overdraft fees that are associated with traditional credit cards. And the many savings and services provided by the card are worth the minimal monthly charges.
|International ATM use||$3.00|
Varies by network
2 free then $0.95
|Check at Closure||$15.00|
* Fee is waived if using direct deposit
There are several options for adding money to your mPower Prepaid Visa Card. With so many options every card user finds one that is most efficient and cost effective for them. And since you can't spend money without depositing money, mPower wants to make it easy to access your hard-earned cash.
When depositing money there are some fees associated with a couple of the options, but direct deposit of any kind is always free as long as you sign up in the first 30 days of using your card. There is a minimum deposit of $10 when utilizing both direct deposit and when adding cash. The maximum deposit when using cash is $950 per day and up to $4,500 per month. The limit when using direct deposit is $10,000 per deposit and a maximum of $10,000 per month.
Try using one of these convenient methods for reloading your card:
- Direct Deposit – You can deposit part of all of your payroll check into your account by filling out a form that can be printed directly from your online account. Use your card number and routing number so your employer can direct your check directly to your account. This service is free and even provides a $25 bonus if your initial deposit is done this way.
- Tax Refund – After filling out your state and federal tax return documents you can enter your card's routing numbers, bank information, and account number directly on one of the tax forms. This service is free and you typically receive your tax return up to 30 days faster than if it had to be mailed.
- Cash – Adding cash to your card is easy when you use one of the partner networks such as Green Dot MoneyPak or Western Union. Simply go to one of the retail locations that provide these services, give the clerk the cash, and your money will be electronically transferred directly to your account. Each network charges their own individual fees for this service.