News & Advice
Looking for a great card that will save you money and even give you cash back. The UPside Card can do both. This card features a fantastic rewards program, savings on prescriptions, and their exclusive Rainy Day Reserve that is just like having a savings account.
The UPside card is a prepaid card that works like a debit card allowing you, your spouse, your kids, or anyone else you allow to access your account, to make purchases in stores or online without the risk of over spending. It is a prepaid Visa card that can be used anywhere around the world that Visa cards are accepted, including withdrawing from an ATM. You can apply online and be approved in no time because there is no need for a credit check or a credit history report.
Once you apply for this card issued by MetaBank, you will have the ability to access an online account. The account works very similarly to a checking account but is accessible only online. Through your flexible online account you can add funds to your card using direct deposit from an employer, transferring money from a bank account, purchasing a Green Dot Money Pak, or loading it with cash at one of the many participating retail locations.
Since it is not a traditional credit card having this card in your wallet will keep you from spending more than you can afford. If there are no funds in the account, the card simply cannot be used. Cardholders are not only able to save money by avoiding overdraft charges, but can actually get money back by taking advantage of their rewards program.
In addition to the ease of use and the savings that can be had with this card, there are also lots of other great advantages that cardholders can utilize. Parents can teach their children financial responsibility with a parent-teen account while others can learn how to save with the Rainy Day Reserve Program. Have some reoccurring bills to pay each month? You can write a check for those straight from your online account too.
No Activation Fee
Free Direct Deposit
Online Check Writing Service
Cash Back Rewards Program
Any - No Credit Check
Frequently Asked Questions
Anyone who is interested can apply for the UPside Card, however it is designed specifically for individuals who have had difficulties in the past with overspending and accumulating large interest payments on their credit card. For these people, applying for this card is a step towards developing responsible spending habits and taking control of their budget. Since it does not require a credit check even people who have a poor credit history will be approved.
This particular card is also a popular choice for parents who want to give their teenager or college student financial freedom while teaching them financial responsibility. In fact the card's website provides a separate site for teens that describes the card in easy to understand terms.
Using the card is just like having a credit card so teens can use it to make purchases and parents can load money into their account whenever it's needed. And since the card is applied for by the parents they will always have access to the account in order to track and control their child's spending.
There are lots of great reasons to use the UPside Visa Prepaid Card. First, you will never have to pay another overdraft charge because you can never spend more than you deposit. Not only is it a convenient and easy to use, low-fee card it also comes with some unique features and amazing benefits that are not offered by any other card on the market. And with its cash back rewards program and online check writing service you'll want to make this your first choice in prepaid cards.
- Free direct deposit
- No activation fee
- Free text and email notifications
- Easy online account access
- Manage expenses by tracking spending
- Teaches financial responsibility
- 4 card designs to choose from
- Visa Zero Liability Protection against theft and fraud
Rewards – The cash-back rewards program is based on the points you earn from making certain purchases or completing other transactions. You earn points for online activation, loading prepaid cell phone time, making signature-based transactions, or shopping at UPside Mall merchants. Points can be turned into cash which is then readily available in your online account.
Unique Features - There are several programs available with the use of this card. All of these programs are optional but are accessible to every cardholder and are totally free to use.
- Write checks online
- UPside Mall – shopping here helps earn rewards points
- Companion Card
- Accounts for teenagers – managed by parents
- Prescription discounts
- Rainy Day Reserve – online savings account that will not be spent when using your card
Like most other prepaid cards there are some fees associated with this card. But how could UPside bring such great service without a few fees in place? Individuals who apply for this card will all pay the same basic fees. However, if you are able to upgrade to premium status there are several services that become free. In order to upgrade you need to earn at least 15,000 rewards points. There are also reduced fees for people who load more than $500 each month into their card account.
|Monthly Fee||Loading $500 -$4.95|
Loading > $500 - $0.99
|Companion Card Monthly Fee||Loading $1,000- $1.99|
Loading > $1,000 - $0
|Paper Check||$2.00||1 Free/Month|
- Same -
|Remaining Balance Refund||$12.00||$12.00|
- Direct Deposit – By giving a voided check from your online account or a Direct Deposit stub to your employer you can have you paycheck deposited directly into your account each month. This is the most convenient way to reload funds and is absolutely free to do. And as long you enroll in this service within 60 days of getting your card you can earn 1000 points toward your cash back rewards.
- Green Dot MoneyPak – It's easy to load cash onto your card when you purchase a MoneyPak. They are available nationwide at more than 50,000 retail locations including popular places such as Walgreens, Walmart, CVS, and 7-Eleven. Once you purchase one for the amount you want, simply log into your account and enter the details from the MoneyPak card. You can use this method to load up to $5000 each month.
- Bank Transfer – Whether it's your bank account or the account of someone who needs to pay you for some reason, you can use your account and routing numbers to have money transferred from a valid bank account straight to your online account.
- Card-to-Card Money Share – Family members, friends, or anyone else you know who owns an UPside card can transfer money to your account simply by entering your account number into their online card account page. You can also initiate a card transfer by sending an email or cell phone number to the person receiving the funds.
- Credit or Debit Card – Once you've had your card for three months and deposit more than $1,000 per month using direct deposit you can utilize this service. With a qualifying credit card or debit card simply put your credit card numbers into your online account and choose the amount you want to charge.